Eugene, Oregon, USA
- Qualitative, human-centered research addressing complex problems.
- Homelessness, refugees and shelter alternatives
- Safe, Healthy and Positive Environmental Design (SHAPED)
- Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED).
- Storytelling, hope-building, and positive behavior support.
- Personal and Workplace Safety/ Violence Prevention and Confrontation Management.
- Community Policing and Problem Solving.
After a 30 year career with the City of Eugene Police Department, including a capstone one year assignment as the city’s Homeless Veterans’ Analyst, I retired from the city in November 2015 to focus on independent consulting, working with two private consulting firms, Safe Havens International (SHI) (Georgia) and InterSCT (Arizona), as well as independently. Recent work with InterSCT involved a qualitative research study in Haiti, and our co-authored paper, Starting From Zero: An Exploration of Contemporary Issues in Haiti, (Journal of Health and Human Experience Spring 2017), which led to a presentation to the U.N. Commission on the Status of Women by my co-authors in March, 2016. Our earlier paper, A Conversation with Calamity; Shedding light on the plight of Syrian refugees, (April, 2016) led to a research trip to Athens, Greece in March, 2017. In my down time I also serve on the board of directors of Community Supported Shelters and as a Cultural Navigator for the first Syrian refugee family to arrive in Eugene, Oregon, as part of the Refugee Resettlement Coalition of Lane County.
In recent work with Safe Havens, International (SHI), I inspected schools in Littleton, Colorado and Lowell, Massachusetts. I have taught all aspects of Safe, Healthy and Positive Environmental Design (SHAPED) and Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) for schools at conferences and in-service trainings, and have inspected schools, parks, shelters and other public spaces proactively and forensically for groups across the country, including the National Clearinghouse for Educational Facilities, the U.S. Dept. of Education, the California Department of Education, Jackson State University, Safe Havens International, School Planning and Management and College Planning and Management publications, the Hamilton Fish Institute (Georgetown University) and various school districts.
I have written a number of books and articles on related subjects. I also teach confrontation management, personal and workplace safety on a regular basis.
I am a certified elementary school Second Step violence prevention curriculum instructor, poet and story teller, as well as author of the middle grade novel, the Lost Wink.
I have thirty years of experience in school and personal safety, environmental design, violence prevention, and confrontation management, including 29 years as a full time crime prevention specialist for the Eugene, Oregon Police Department.
I hold a Master’s degree in Journalism and a B.S. in Community Service and Public Affairs from the University of Oregon.
In 2015 I was selected by the Eugene, Oregon city manager’s office to serve as the Veterans’ Homelessness Analyst. This was in response to the White House challenge to all communities to end veterans’ homelessness. I coordinated efforts with all relevant agencies, the Veteran’s Administration, and surrounding communities to house 365 homeless veterans within 365 days. We housed 404.
Homeless advocate, 2016 to present.
Serving on the board of directors for Community Supported Shelters, I write and present on the topic of homelessness and safe homeless camp design.
Resident storyteller, 2016 to present.
I run an interactive storytelling workshop for 2nd-3rd graders that weaves safe, healthy and positive living tips into story telling, at the Family School in Eugene, Oregon.
Refugee Advocate, 2016 to present.
As part of the Refugee Resettlement Coalition of Lane County, I introduce recent Syrian immigrants to American culture and assist them with all aspects of getting settled in the U.S.
Veterans Homelessness Analyst, City Manager’s Office, Eugene, Oregon 10/2014 to 12/2015. Coordinating city, county, federal, public and private resources to end homelessness for veterans in our area by the end of 2015. As Operation 365, we aimed to house 365 veterans in one year, and succeeded in housing 404.
International researcher, 2015 to present
As a Senior Research Partner with InterSCT (Interprofessional Studio for Complexity Thinking), I visited various Haitian institutions, including schools, an orphanage and a nursing home, and conducted qualitative research on-site. Ongoing projects aim to design and build a health sciences campus, and potentially replace the nursing home. Additional projects in the works will address aspects of the Syrian refugee crisis. Our joint research paper, A Conversation with Calamity; Shedding light on the plight of Syrian refugees, was published in April, 2016. http://jhhe.sempervifoundation.org/files/1814/6074/3776/JHHE_v2n1_Spring_2016_Spreads.pdf InterSCT is a human-centered, inquiry-based, multi-dimensional research partnership.
Consultant and Speaker, 1990 to present. Consulting and presentations on:
- Positive Behavior Support.
- Safe, Healthy and Positive Environmental Design (S.H.A.P.E.D.) for Schools, Parks and other Public Spaces
- Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (C.P.T.E.D.)
- Confrontation Management.
- School Safety.
- Violence Theory.
- Domestic violence.
- Responding to disclosures of child abuse or neglect.
- Hope Building.
- Sustainable Crime Prevention.
Groups served include:
- Alsea school district (OR)
- 4j Schools (OR)
- American Institute of Architects (OR)
- Arizona Juvenile Justice Association (AZ)
- Arizona State University Design School (AZ)
- Bend LaPine School District (OR)
- Bethel School District (OR)
- California Department of Education (CA)
- Campbell County HS, (TN)
- College Planning and Management (MD)
- Confederation of School Administrators (OR)
- Crime Prevention Association of Oregon (OR)
- Department of Homeland Security (DC)
- Department of Justice (OR)
- Eugene Police Dept. (OR)
- FieldingNairInternational (MN)
- Hamilton-Fish Institute (DC)
- Hillsborough school district (FL)
- Indianapolis Schools (IN)
- Institute on Violence and Destructive Behavior (OR)
- International Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design Association (ICA)
- Jackson State University (MS)
- Kansas Advisory Group
- Koch Crime Institute (KS)
- La Reference school (Haiti)
- Lane County Criminal Justice Training Alliance (OR)
- Lane County Domestic Violence Council (OR)
- Lane Educational Service District, (OR)
- Linn Benton Lincoln ESD (OR)
- Littleton Schools (CO)
- Men nan Men school (Haiti)
- National Center for Safer Schools
- National Clearinghouse for Educational Facilities, (DC)
- Northwest Regional Education Labs (OR)
- Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP)
- Orange County School District, Fl.
- Oregon Department of Education
- Oregon Employers’ Council
- Oregon Recreation and Parks Assoc. (OR)
- Orlando schools (FL)
- Performance Institute (VA)
- Professional Development Network (OR)
- Safe Havens International
- School Planning and Management (MD)
- Springfield Schools (OR)
- Tahoe Coalition of Recreation Providers, CA
- U.S. Department of Education (DC)
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DC)
- U.S. Forest Service (OR)
- University of Oregon
- Vanir Construction Management, (CA)
- Western Community Policing Institute (OR)
Selected Recent Projects include:
Men Nan Men site visit, Post-earthquake surveying, Port au Prince, Haiti, on developing a health sciences campus, with InterSCT consulting and Foundation for Peace 9/2015 (ongoing project.)
Veterans Homelessness Analyst for City of Eugene, Or. 10/2014 to 12/2015
Post-Incident Review Arapahoe High School Active-Shooter, Littleton, Colorado, team member with Safe Havens International 2014-2015
Workplace Violence, Oregon Department of Human Services 10/14/2015-10/15/2015
Storytelling and Connectivity presentation, Oregon School Psychologists Association 10/8/2015
Thesis Jury Consultant, on Bullying and Design, Arizona State University Design School 5/2015
Confrontation Management for Mental Health Group Homes, Halfway House Inc, Or. 5/2015
Workplace safety seminar, Willamette Valley Cancer Institute 10/2014
Comprehensive School Inspection projects, in conjunction with Safe Havens International, Orlando, Fl 3/2014, Bend LaPine schools 9/2014
Threat assessment and workplace safety, Mountain Rose Herbs, Eugene, Or 2/25/2014
Keynote speech, Personal Safety, Northwest Credit Unions Association, Springfield, Or. 1/16/2014
Confrontation Management, County employees, Eugene, Or. 1/23/2014
Security Consultation, Willamette Family Treatment Services, Eugene, Oregon 2014
CPTED consult, Eugene Hearing and Speech, Eugene, Oregon 1/7/2014
Confrontation Management, Headstart, Eugene, Oregon 2013
CPTED consult, MLK Education Center, Serbu Juvenile Justice Center, Eugene,2013
Personal Safety, US Bank, Eugene, Oregon 2013
CPTED consult, Bethel school district, OR Spring 2013
Confrontation Management Training, Trillium Healthcare, Eugene, OR 1/18/13
Workplace violence strategies presentation, American Society of Safety Engineers, Springfield, OR 01/15/13
CPTED consult, Sprout project, NEDCO, Springfield, OR 01/15/13
School CPTED consult, Life Lutheran Elementary School, Eugene, OR 01/19/13
Security consult, Lane County Historical Museum, Eugene, OR 01/03/13
Confrontation Management, Balzhiser Engineering, Eugene, OR 11/07/12
Confrontation Management, Serenity Lane, Eugene, OR 10/23/12
Personal Safety, Children with Disabilities, Springfield, OR 10/24/12
Confrontation Management, Dept. Human Services, Springfield, OR 09/11/12
Confrontation Management, Lane Co. Public Health, Eugene, OR 08/30/12
Park Safety consult, Eugene Parks Dept., Eugene, OR 08/23/12
Confrontation Management, EWEB, Eugene, OR 08/07/12
CPTED consult, Whilamut Nature Reserve, Eugene, OR 07/06/12
Confrontation Management, Medical Office Assistants Assoc., Eugene, OR 06/21/12
Confrontation Management, EWEB, Leaburg, OR 06/20/12
Confrontation Management, ISTE, Eugene, OR 06/08/12
Confrontation Management, Legal Aid, Eugene, OR 04/11/12
CPTED consult, Bloodbank, Eugene, OR 04/03/12
Confrontation Management, HHI, Eugene, OR 03/22/12
CPTED review, UO Architecture program, Eugene, OR 03/16/12
CPTED consult, Sheltercare, Springfield, OR 02/29/12
School safety, Montessori, Eugene, OR 02/28/12
School safety, NW Youth Corps, Eugene, OR 02/22/12
Security consult, Temple Beth Israel, Eugene, OR 02/23/12
Internet safety, St. Paul’s Catholic School, Eugene, OR 02/02/12
West University neighborhood project/SafeCascadia group, Eugene, OR 2012
School Design presentation, NSSEA Conference, San Antonio, TX 2011
Holladay Park inspection, Portland, OR 2011
School CPTED inspections, Linn-Benton-Lincoln County Educational Service District 2009-2011.
International Conference on Safe Schools Design, Next-Generation School Safety, Johnson and Wales University/ Schoolsafetypartners.org/ Denver, Co. 04/23/2010.New School Security Technology and Mass Notification for Universities briefing papers, National Clearinghouse for Educational Facilities, (quarterly updates, 2008 to 2010)
Confrontation Management for Parks Workers, ORPA, OR 01/30/2008
Confrontation Management for Parks Workers, Eugene Public Works 03/05/2008
Personal Safety,SAIF, 052109
Personal Safety, Pacific Continental Bank 060909
CPTED, Trainsong Park Neighborhood, Health Policy Research NW, Spring 2009
Personal Safety for Medical workers, Cascade Health Solutions OR 2009
Women’s Safety, Women in Construction, OR. 3/5/2008
Confrontation Management for Landlords, Eugene, Or 3/20/2008
CPTED analysis, Eugene Hearing and Speech Center 03/04/2008
CPTED consult, Northwest Youth Corps, OR 02/21/08
Child abuse disclosure trainer, Head Start, Eugene, OR 02/12/08
Security coordination, Project Homeless Connect, OR 02/07/2008
Writer, New School Security Technology, National Clearinghouse for Educational Facilities, Washington, DC 2/2008.
School Safety and Security Workshops, School Planning and Management and College Planning and Management magazines, Baltimore, MD 11/2007
Workplace violence, SAIF, OR 11/15/2007
Hamilton Fish Annual Meeting, School Safety, Washington, D.C. 10/30/2007
Intensive School CPTED training, Indianapolis Schools, 10/17/2007
Confrontation Management, Pain Management Associates 10/3/07
CPTED, Construction Specifications Institute 09/27/2007
Confrontation Management, National Association of Housing Officials, OR 09/19/2007
Confrontation Management, Eugene Parks Maintenance, 08/29/2007
Consultant, New Orleans Community Summit on School to Jail Pipeline, OJJDP/ Hamilton Fish Institute 8/7/2007
Editor, School Safety and Technology Guide, Northwest Regional Education labs, Portland, OR 2007
School Crisis Response Trainer, Safe and Drug Free Schools national conference for annual grant recipients, San Antonio, TX 2007
Confrontation Management, Valley West Nursing Home 06/08/2007
Park safety and Pedophiles, Eugene Parks 06/06/2007
Confrontation Management, Employers’ Council of Oregon 05/09/2007
CPTED analysis, SERBU juvenile corrections facility 05/03/2007
CPTED, Crime Prevention Association of Oregon 04/24/2007
Realtor Safety, Windemere Realtors, OR, 04/13/2007
Confrontations Management for outreach workers, Options state conference, OR, 03/09/2007.
Confrontation Management, Oregon State Employment Division 02/15/2007
Security coordination, Project Homeless Connect 02/08/2007
Comprehensive week-long CPTED boot camp, Hillsborough County School District police, Tampa, Florida.
Consultant to Department of Homeland Security & U.S. Department of Education Safe and Drug Free Schools, peer review of ViSAT School Safety Assessment tool, Washington, D.C.
Consultant and Editor, Safe School Facilities Checklist project, for National Clearinghouse for Educational Facilities, National Institute of Buildings, Washington, D.C.
CPTED inspection, Alsea 7J School district, OR.
CPTED inspection, Campbell County High, TN.
CPTED inspection, Lane School, OR.
Editor, “Witnessing Violence” lesson card, Second Step Violence Prevention Curriculum, Lane County Domestic Violence Council, OR.
Editor, Teacher’s Guide to Reporting Child Abuse, Lane County Domestic Violence Council, OR.
Presenter, CPTED fundamentals, Vanir CM, Universal City, CA.
Presenter, Oregon Employers’ Council, Confrontation Management and Motivational Communication seminars, OR.
Presenter, Performance Institute Safe Schools Summit, Arlington, VA.
Confrontation Management, Association of Oregon Counties.
Contributing author, Safe and Healthy Schools, (Oxford Press) Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, GA.
Contributing writer, School Administrator magazine.
Keynote Speaker: Building Hope. Tools for Advocacy Conference (OR)
Cross-cultural and Special Needs Briefing Book, Eugene Police Department (OR).
Community Service Officer/ Crime Prevention Specialist, Eugene Police Department, 1986 to 2014. Commendations for Leadership in Diversity and Safe Schools projects.
- Violence prevention instructor. Chavez Elementary, Patterson Family School, Academy of Arts and Technology, River Road Elementary, Pearl Buck Pre-school. Second Step Violence Prevention Curriculum instructor, singer, songwriter, performer. (2003-present)
- Prevention Specialist/ Field Training Officer. Extensive lecturing on crime prevention through environmental design, violence theory and hope building, confrontation management, school safety, community revitalization, urban growth and public safety, workplace violence, women’s safety, seniors, child safety, robbery, burglary, shoplifting and related topics. Staff training. (ongoing)
- Consultant, crime prevention through environmental design (CPTED). Surveyed public and private facilities, including businesses, civic buildings and public spaces. Coordinated and instructed in various settings and conferences, including Safe Communities conference and ICA conference (ongoing). Surveyed all schools in three districts under a federal safe schools grant (2000-2002)
- Training coordinator and lead instructor, SWIT (School Whatever It Takes) Academy. This model 7 week boot camp was created under a federal Safe Schools grant, to train school-based crime prevention specialists in working with high-risk children. (2000)
- Housing Project prevention coordinator. Funded by HUD to provide prevention services to subsidized housing complexes, I established and ran the Saturday Great Kids Club. Mentoring, problem solving, role modeling. (1999)
- Founder/editor, Community Safety Quarterly. C.S.Q. provided in-depth articles on community policing and underlying social issues. (1987-1992)
- Coordinator, helping to establish the Whiteaker Public Safety Station, Eugene’s first neighborhood-based sub-station. (1990-1991)
- Research, analysis, writing, editing and design work on a variety of public information and in-house projects.
Adjunct Professor / Guest Lecturer, University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon: Progressive Crime Prevention, Roots of Violence, Seeds of Hope, CPTED. Graduate program in Corrections; Substance Abuse Program, School of Architecture, IVDB. (1989 – 2003)
Board of Directors, International CPTED Association. 2000-2002.
Board of Directors, Womenspace domestic violence agency 2002-2010.
Board of Directors, Halfway House Inc., mental health facility, 2000-present.
Chair, Child and Family Violence subcommittee, Domestic Violence Council, 2004-2010.
Schneider, T., Shraiky, J., Patchin, W. Starting From Zero: An Exploration of Contemporary Issues in Haiti, Journal of Health and Human Experience Spring 2017 (Vol 3 No 1).
Schneider, T., U.S. turning its back on desperate refugees, The Register-Guard, 4/12/17.
Shraiky, J., Wofford, D. and Schneider, T., Conversations with Calamity, Shedding Light on the Plight of Syrian Refugees, Journal of Health and the Human Experience, Spring 2016 (Vol 2 No 1)
Schneider T. Preventing School Shooting – 9 Options and Dilemmas, Register Guard newspaper guest commentary 11/15/15
Schneider T. Safe School Design blog, on-line, on-going 2013 – present.
Schneider T. Security Camera tips, Safe Havens International newsletter 2015.
Schneider T. My Year on Authonomy, Bulletin, Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators, 2013
Schneider T. The Lost Wink, Createspace, 2013.
Schneider T. Self-inspections for Schools, Campus Safety Newsletter, January 2013.
Schneider T. Mass Notification for Universities. 2008 – present (quarterly updates). Washington, D.C.: National Clearinghouse for Educational Facilities.
Schneider T. New School Security Technologies. 2008 – present (quarterly updates). Washington, D.C.: National Clearinghouse for Educational Facilities.
Schneider T. Safe School Design and Security Technology; Web-based Technical Assistance Guide. 2003. Portland, Oregon: National Resource Center for Safe Schools
Schneider T. Safe School Design and Security Technology; Web-based Technical Assistance Guide. 2008. Washington, D.C.: George Washington University.
Schneider T. Safe School Facilities Checklist 2007. Washington, D.C.: National Clearinghouse for Educational Facilities.
Schneider T. Creating Safer School Facilities, 2006. Virginia: State Education Standard, the Journal of the National Association of State Boards of Education (pp. 17-23).
Schneider T. Transcending Violence, 2002. Victoria, B.C.: Trafford Press.
Schneider T. Uncle Bunkle Stories/ Los Cuentos de Tio Bobadillo, 2003. Eugene, OR: Uncle Bunkle Press.
Schneider T. Community Safety Quarterly, 1987-1993. Eugene, OR: City of Eugene.
Schneider T. Violence and Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design. Frumkin H, Geller R, Rubin IL, Nodvin J. Safe and Healthy Schools, 2006. N.Y.: Oxford Press (pp. 251-269).
Schneider T. Safe School Design 2001. OR: ERIC Clearinghouse.
Schneider T. ERIC Digest: School Security Technology 2001. OR: ERIC Clearinghouse.
Schneider T., Walker H., Sprague J. Safe School Design. 2000. OR: ERIC Clearinghouse.
Schneider T., Bike Path Phobia. August 2000. Seattle, WA: Parks and Recreation Magazine (pp. 20-28)
Schneider T., Bike Path Phobia. February 2000. Landahl M, ed. Om CPTED, Belysning och Brottsforebyggande I Parkmilio. Stockholm, Sweden: Crimiknowledge Forlag.
Writing Counselor, University of Oregon Learning Center (1981-1982)
Communication Specialist, Eugene Department of Public Safety. (1985 – 1987)
Central Lane Communications (9-1-1) call-taker. Police, fire and medical emergencies.
Community Educator, Lane County Council on Alcoholism, Eugene. (1983 – 1985) Lecturing and writing; alcoholism and other substance abuse related topics.
Agency Director, White Bird Clinic, Eugene. (1980 – 1982)
Coordinating social service agency, providing crisis intervention, counseling, medical, legal, information and referral.
- Ongoing monthly police training, EPD 1984-2014
- Forensic Evidence Collection in child sexual assault cases, State of Oregon 2013
- Evidence –based practices in Juvenile Corrections, Ed Latessa 2007
- Jewelry and Gem Identification, EPD 2007
- Campus Safety Conference, Portland, OR 2007
- Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs, EPD 2007
- Adolescent Brain, Michael Nerney 2007
- School Security Technology, Selectron 2007
- First Aid refresher course, EPD 2007
- Culture of Poverty, Ruby Payne materials 2006-7
- SWIS, School-wide Information Systems 2007
- Targeting Meth, Building a Vision for a Drug Free Community 2006
- Safe Streets Safe Communities Conference, Calgary, AB, Canada 2006
- Firearms safety and handling, Eugene Police 2005
- Video Production, Metro TV 2005
- Crucial Confrontations seminar, with Joseph Grenny 2005
- Non-Stranger Sexual Assault Response and Investigation, Sexual Assault Training Institute, Attorney General’s Task Force 2004
- Sexual Assault Victim Interviewing, SITA 2004
- Sexual Assault Crime Scene Response, SITA 2004
- CHAMPS Proactive Positive Classroom Management, 2004
- Individual Student Systems Training/ Functional Assessment, LESD, 2004
- Brain-based Learning, Jensen seminars 2004
- Arab, Muslim, and Sikh cultural awareness for police 2004
- Sexual assault investigation 2004
- Probigua, Spanish language immersion school, Antigua, Guatemala 2003
- Access Control Technology, A.S.I.S., AZ, 2000
- International CPTED Association annual conference, 1998
- Second Step Violence Prevention Curriculum, Train the trainer intensive 1998
- Effective Behavior support team workshop 1998
- On Killing seminar, Lt. Col. Dave Grossman 1998
- Domestic Violence legal update seminar 1998
- Rotary sponsored ambassador to States of Kerala and Tamil Nadu, India, 1997
- Photoshop training, 1996
- National Coalition Building Institute training 1996
- Advanced Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design, 1995
- National Crime Prevention Institute, Louisville, KY 1994
- Community Policing training, 1993-94
- Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design, w/Tim Crowe, Seattle, 1992
- Spanish language studies, Sinaloa, Mexico, 1991
- Supervision seminar, Management Associates 1991
- Red Cross training, Introduction to Disaster Services, 1991
- Graduate studies, Planning, Public Policy and Management, U.O., 1989
- Refugees and the Law, Drugs and Gangs conferences, 1989
- Crime Prevention School, BPST, State Police Academy, Monmouth, OR, 1988
- Homelessness conference, Eugene, OR, 1988
- Fire Prevention Education, National Fire Academy, Emmitsburg, MD, 1988
- Western Regional Symposium, Child Abuse and Sexual Assault, 1987
- Cross Cultural Communication, Dr. E.J. Nichols, Department of Justice 1987
- Communication Specialist training: emergency medical dispatching, Law Enforcement Data System, Criminal Intelligence, Water Rescue, CPR, Hazardous Materials, 1986
- Martial arts, Aikido Zenshinkai, 1982-86
- Relational Issues of Addiction conference, San Diego, CA, 1984
- M.S., Journalism, University of Oregon, Honors society, 1982-83
- B.S., Community Service and Public Affairs, University of Oregon, 1976-81